Monday, January 22, 2007

365 Days Is a Long Time

For the first time since starting this project I felt like quitting. The idea of finding pictures that capture the essence of my life each day seems daunting.Even worse, what if the essence of my life isn't worth capturing because it is so banal, so ordinary?These are not happy thoughts. I hope to get some inspiration somehow.

I leave you with the picture that hangs over our couch. It is a typical Dominican country scene. The tree with the flaming red flowers is called flaboyan. The are gorgeous trees when in bloom. Sometimes they can be so full of flowers that you can't see the leaves. Flaboyans grow in the country (like in this picture) or in the city. Santo Domingo, where I was born, is a city famous for its lucious vegetation and the flaboyans add such a splash of flaming red.


8 comments:

LauraLiz said...

Ah, but the ordinary is so rich!!

Hang in there, Natalia. I'm so much enjoying the look into everyone's lives. At the end of the year I think you will have a treasure!

Colleen said...

I so identify with you, Natalia. The past few days, I've had to force myself to take a picture of something ~ anything ~ just so I won't quit. I hang desperately on the comments, because knowing people look at the pictures is really what keeps me going.

I enjoyed seeing this print; I think I've mentioned before that I'm really interested in going to the Dominican Republic. Keep on keeping on, friend!

SUSAN said...

These trees look like something out of a fairy tale!

I know how you feel, Natalia. The other day I wondered if I could "keep this up" for 365 days. ;-) However, I think it will be so cool to have this peek into a full year. Let's encourage each other to keep on keeping on.

Susan

Sandie said...

I really like the glimpse into each others lives! I like how 'ordinary' we are. Like Laura said it makes us rich in blessings, traditions and family. Please keep clicking away!

Carol Ann Weaver said...

I love getting a glimpse into your ordinary day, including seeing what hang on your walls.

Katrina said...

Beautiful! I like ordinary. :) (But that's no ordinary picture) I have a hard time thinking what to take pictures of too. :)

Dancingirl said...

Oh, don't give up! I do understand how you feel. But just record one thing from the day... it doesn't have to be beautiful or special. Just one ordinary thing. I think, like Laura, that at the end of the year you'll have something you'll value.

Love this photo of the picture. It's very colorful and vibrant.

Sandy said...

Hang in there, Natalia. Really, you're doing great. I, too, have found it hard to capture part of my day in a picture - sometimes I can't and sometimes I don't want to. I'm already feeling limited because I stay at home all day most days. I've concluded that some days it'll be easy and obvious what the pic of the day is and other days I might have to go looking and/or take a picture of anything just to keep going. But really, in the end, both of those scenarios are still reflective of the day. And I think you'll be surprised how what is ordinary to you will be important and interesting to others.

I loved hearing about your home and the flaboyan tree. I learned something today because of you. :)