Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Grief

Yesterday the son of some good friends of ours was found dead. He was 20. I did not know him well but the death of a young person always hits hard. Come to think of it, death always hits hard.

This might sound strange but, I wish I had had my camera. As I accompanied my friends, I kept framing pictures in my mind. Most of the time I felt like an observer looking through a lens. If I could've snapped some pictures, I would've given testimony to the depth of human emotions: the withdrawn look of those who rather grief in private, the comforting embrace of a friend, the caress of a husband trying to comfort his young wife,the tension of husband and wife legally separated but united by their loss,the aggrieved consoling the comforter. I would've captured women keeping busy so that they would have the consolation of work; men performing labors of love: kids helping out the best they could.They would've made great pictures.

I am sorry for all the pictures not taken. I am sorry that I didn't have my camera but I also know that even if I had the camera, I wouldn't have used it. I wouldn't have wanted to intrude in their grief.

6 comments:

LauraLiz said...

Natalia, this is beautifully written. I hear in your words some of the things this project has done for me...I've always been compassionate and noticed details about people, but I "see" things now I didn't before. It has enriched my life, but in cases like this it also hurts.

I'm so sorry for your friends, but glad they have you.

Sandie said...

I am sorry, Natalia, death is a tough blow all the time. That of a young adult seems the most difficult.

I know what you mean about the camera too. There are many time I wanted to 'catch' something, but knew right away the moment was too private.

Katrina said...

I'm sorry, Natalia, for this loss. I know what you mean about the pictures that you didn't take. Your post is beautiful.

Rachel said...

Your words captured the scene and emotions as well as a camera could. Thank you for taking time to share this. Life is not all just pretty pictures, is it?

SUSAN said...

Natalia, you captured the moments in words. Thank you.

Regarding your post above this one, it does seem surreal the way life goes on after death. When I was in my early 20's, my boyfriend died and I can remember for several months that surreal feeling. Asking myself "How do people laugh so easily?" "How do I get the energy to go to school?" It all seemed so trivial and surreal. Well, anyway, your words brought back so many memories.

Susan

Dancingirl said...

Your post captured what you wanted the camera to. Better even because your writing doesn't intrude. I'm glad you're there for your friends.